Over the past 3 days I have managed to experience quite a few things. Pretty typical for being in a new place. Every day I peel my sweaty body from my bed sheets, look in the mirror and comment aloud at how I look like shit. I set out into the amazon heat and humidity (which actually isn't as bad as I'm making it sound....well maybe it is), and walk around town and grab some breakfast. I managed to make my way to down to the Amazon boardwalk, which is where I took my first picture from. It's kind of where the eclectic group of travelers from around the world sit around and act like useless hippies, selling beads on strings, and various handicrafts. It's funny how non-eclectic hippidom is, it changes a potentially diverse group of people into one hemp enfused, homogenous dirt ball. Wow that was a bit harsh, but just today I had some crazy ass English hippie come up to me, tell me this long story about how he "just a second ago" got hit by a car, had "mum" sending out his visa, and needed 30 soles (about 10 bucks) to go to the aeropuerto. Not buying it. Hippy-ass lier.
These hippies are taking away a market of handicrafting from the indigenous peruvian women who are trying to make a buck a day selling their amazing textiles. Trustafarian liers all of them.
Ok, enough naysaying. I really do love it here, but have been getting angry with the non-indigenous, disingenuous european/american nialist types.
I got off track. Where I was going with this was I met some cool folks who are teaching me Spanish by the boardwalk. Only problem is I think the guy who is teaching me may or may not be trying to swindle me. It's kind of an unsettling environment to learn in, when a person is trying to hide their waistband wallet from his/her teacher. Yeah?
Other than this, I have had a chance to see the slums of Iquitos called Belen, or more specifically Belen bajo, which is below Belen itself and is actually more slummy. Here is a picture of Belen, it's like Venece, but with Giardia. It won't let me load the picture. The internet here is pretty bad, I'll try to load it later.
Anyway, it's crazy here, and sad to see people living in Belen. Yet it is also inspiring to see everyone stoked to be alive, and stoked to be with their families and three legged dogs. It continually shows me what is importent in life.
Ok, thats about it, have a great day everyone!
-Jeff
Sunday, May 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You are hilarious Jeff. The nice family sitting next to me either thinks I am crazy for laughing at my computer or that I am watching a rerun of the Office - which I still need to do. I am glad to hear that you made it to Peru in one piece, albeit tired and cranky. Just know you have at least one of the Rootz boys praying for you - those other guys are major slackers.
ReplyDeleteRegarding your first post: b) and c). Gigity!
Dude, I am so excited to come back and hang out with you and the guys. I´m so blessed to have such a rad group of friends...it feels homelike....there I said it. Which office episode?
ReplyDelete