Monday, May 24, 2010

A night with the Frenchies

Man French people are effing everywhere. I suppose I shouldn't be too amazed since most of Africa was under French rule at some point, and what's further away and more exotic than Africa? But I never thought I would see a French man here speaking French Spanish in the Amazon. Hummmm, but I suppose I ever thought I would see my white ass in the Amazon neither.

It was amazing. These dudes were great. Let me see if I can get this just right: these guys were French Hippie Latrine Constuctors. So fine in my book, but again, fitting the typical mold of the "hippie" that I ranted about earlier. The great part about these guys is A.) they're super energetic and B.) they like ecological latrines, which immediately puts them on my "you're pretty effing rad" list. Joining us in this eclectic meeting was an Australian woman who didn't want to talk with me, a dude from Portugal who looked like the latin dude from Duce Bigelo Male Giggelo (I don't have spell check....it is too much demand on the bandwidth)...this guy apparently loves worms and says that the worms in his compost are as thick as a mans arem. They all work for a NGO (non-governmental organization) called PRONYOS (N should have the squiggly thing), specializing in latrines. Pretty awesome. Our group is going to be meeting with them to construct and "oversee" the constuction of, otros banos. Should be a ton of fun.

Other than that, everything is going great. Worth mentioning:

-ended my relationship with my scamming spanish teacher named Angelo (short for Michaelangelo). It was a tearful goodbye

-Am having an awesome time brainstorming ways to assess rural amazonian communities for the appropriate use of composting toilets...the funny part is it's all theoretical, and I'm making it all up. Ah academia.

-got stung by a bee while eating with David and Christie. It was a single bee, no hive. Dude the jungle is rough.

That's about it. Meeting with students from the Universidad Nacional de Amazonia Peru (UNAP), I think I said that right--to begin putting together research objectivos for the next three weeks concerning composting toilets (ecosan). Should be awesome.

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog, Jeff. We are saving each writing for your journal.

    hasta luego

    ReplyDelete